Thursday, September 17, 2009

Serena's Outburst

Okay,  so Serena had a melt down when a footfall was called and she reacted in a manner that upset most.  I would have to say when I first saw the video clip I laughed and found it humorous.  I think I reacted this way because this was outside of her character and is one of the most respected and notable female athletes of our time.  She already has established a favorable reputation with the public.  I think a lot of people had a similar reaction to her rage like mine, however, there were a lot who viewed her actions as, "un lady like".  Especially in a prestigious country club sport like tennis, that behavior is unacceptable.  Even as a lacrosse coach if one of my girls acted out like that to a referee she would be suspended from that game and the next.  I think if it were a male that reacted the way she did, it would be a little more accepted but not by much. Instead of being unlady like I think he would become a little unfavorable, yet, his actions would just reflect what our society percieves our male athletes to be; dominant, masculine, and aggressive.  Ya he may get the, jerk, vibe from a lot of his female friends, yet, he may be praised by his males fans.  I believe it is a little harder to come out of a situation like Serena's solely because she is a women and we as a society have different expectations and standards that women must uphold.

As far as her punishment, I do not believe that she should be suspended from her next tournament.  Being at the elite professional level that she is at, I think that suspending her is a little ridiculous. It is not as if she went chasing after the line judge with her racket.  I would think that there might be rules forbidding players to speak to a line judge in a negative manner or any official at that.  Her punishment was a fine, yet I would think that her actions would result in points taken away from her game or her complete ranking as an individual player. I am not excusing her from her actions, but I think all of the negative publicity is enough to think before she speaks again. Again, who knows what the consequences and the reaction of the publicity might be if a male player were to react the same way in that particular situation.  I think across the board in tennis it would have been looked down upon, yet I can not decide if the male would have been viewed as more threatening and would have recieved a harsher punishment or if his actions would have been slightly more acecpted due to the fact he has testosterone running through his blood.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your idea. If a male did the same thing Serena did he would be looked at differently. It does seem more acceptable for a male to be more aggressive and "assert their dominance" whereas Serena is looked down upon. Not to say that her actions were right or it's okay for males to act that way but I agree with the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Serena should not be disqualified from her next tournament. I think you made a good point that the publicity around this situation is enough to make Serena aware of what she did and will be a constant reminder to not lash out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought a lot about the reactions of fans as well as tennis officials. Apparently they are still debating about whether to suspend Serena further. It seems to me if they were going to suspend her, it should have been done immediately. Why wait so long? I have also been thinking a lot about the double-standard that you mentioned, and I am not sure what I think about that. It is true that Roger Federer's actions barely brought a blink from tennis officials. Why was that? Of course, it was not exactly the same thing. But it is hard to know.

    ReplyDelete