Monday, December 14, 2009

Final Post

I must say that I have really enjoyed this class. I appreciated being able to talk discuss topics that may not be appropriate in otherwise, such as, gay stigmas, race, gender, and discrimination. I believe it is important to talk and discuss these type of topics in order improve society.
I really enjoyed writing the blogs this semester. Last year for Dr. Spencer’s history and philosophy of sport class, we were given the option to write a journal or have a blog. I chose to use the journal because Im not the type who enjoys criticism. I tend to take negative comments to heart, so in order to protect my thoughts I wrote them in a journal. This year I wanted to step outside of the box, and let others read and give their opinions on my thoughts about things. I would have to say it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I enjoyed the feedback, positive or negative, because it allowed me to see a broader prospective of the topic. Reading other peoples blogs were a positive experience for me too. I enjoyed being able to express my opinions and gave me more avenues to affirm my beliefs. Also, with the blogs that I agreed with, I was able to see more, “ah Ha”, moments, because I found that my classmates either better worded my opinions or had a different thought process of their beliefs.
I really enjoyed all the topics in we discussed in class. There was not one discussion that wasn’t interesting. However, I would have to say that one of the topics I got most involved in was the Indian Wells incident. I couldn’t believe how passionate I became in class. I was very opinionated and very hard time why some people didn’t understand the reasoning’s behind the Williams sister’s protest. After the heated discussion I had a strong impulse to go write on my blog because I had so much to say. That was the first time I really had a passion to write something down, get it all out, to be able to express the ideas running through my head. It was a way to figure it all out, to allow my brain to process the situation and to organize my beliefs into something that made sense. Because of this moment, I would like to keep a journal for myself. I’m not sure if I would like to blog something quit yet, however, I see the positive impacts that writing and idea down could have and I am more than willing to reap the benefits from that.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that you had such a positive experience blogging this semester. I find it to be cathartic as well, and hope to continue blogging on a more regular basis in the year ahead. I could tell that you felt passionate about some of the topics you blogged about, and you provided great additional insights on the topics you had experienced (e.g., working at the Jamie Farr). Thanks for sharing those first-hand perspectives!

    ReplyDelete