Monday, December 14, 2009

The Tiger Empire

It’s hard to believe that just a few months ago my marketing professors would use Tiger Woods as an example as a brand that companies would inquire to be associated with their product because Tiger was, “perfect”. He was successful, respectful, ideal, and handsome. There was not one criticism that someone could make up about Tiger other than he is really rich and shouldn’t have as much money as he does. However, I guess with the latest reports in the media, his entire brand is at risk. Tiger is now being accused for having not one but several mistresses. His fans and the world are in shock. He was well on his way in becoming the next Jordan, pumping millions of dollars into the economy for quit a bit of time, however, how will the public react to these latest allegations? I myself, would not stop buying his brand, however, I do see him in a different light. I was actually really disappointed, I thought for once we would have this phenomenal athlete who has mass media attention, that would be a role model out into the community. But he is a person and he does make mistakes, but this was a mistake of character and integrity that could really hurt his empire. Already, Gillette has dropped him, who is to come next? I was watching Larry King Live and they were discussing this very topic. At the time, no one had dropped him and they were sending out statements that supported Tiger, however, the statements suggested that they were waiting on further information. The show also suggested that they are in binding contracts with Tiger, so his sponsors may legally not be able to drop his contract. I think that it is a good idea for Tiger to take a leave. It will not only get him out of the spotlight but allow the situation to settle. It will also allow his sponsors to better evaluate the relationship with the public when he does come back so that they may make an executive decision to whether they are to continue further business with Tiger.

2 comments:

  1. I guess my question is why are companies so quick to drop him? I personally believe he has been a great for sports and great for sports marketing. Maybe because I do not know the in's and out's of this situation but it seems to me the situation will blow over as soon as Tiger wins his next major. Remember Kobe and Colorado? Probably would remember it a lot better if he wouldnt average 28 a night with an NBA Championship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interestingly, being out of the spotlight has not kept Tiger from being the lead story!

    ReplyDelete