Wednesday, November 18, 2009

BYU vs New Mexico

We had been discussing in class how women's sport does not receive a lot of publicity unless the athlete herself is a celebrity, sells sex appeal, or is a popular champion. Now, it has been discovered that women who are deliberately being violent during the game will gain the fame. I am referring to college women’s soccer particularly the match of BYU vs. New Mexico. There are video clips of the New Mexico team player, punching, tripping, and even pulling the hair of their opposing players. The video was funny to watch, but at the same time as a coach it was unpleasant. For the most part athletics hold a high standard of dignity, respect, and sportsmanship. And I made sure that these values were instilled in my lacrosse players. Violence may be entertaining, however, I feel as if it degrades what sport is all about. There is going to be harsh feelings, animosity, and grudges against other teams, that’s the nature of the competition, but to completely out lash the way the New Meixco team did was appalling. I was thinking to myself, where is the coach? It is easy to miss some conduct that is displayed on the field, however, I feel like New Mexico’s harsh play was hard to miss. There is a lot of pressure on the coach to control their players and control misconduct. The lines were never crossed with my girls because they knew of the high standards that the lacrosse association within Ohio expects of them, and across the board most of all lacrosse coaches enforce strict discipline for misconduct. I can only imagine how much heat that soccer coach is in for continually letting the game to be violent. UNM Vice President for Athletics Paul Krebs commented about the game, “Liz’s conduct on the field against BYU was completely inappropriate. There is no way to defend her actions." And I myself think it would be hard to defend a player who did that. I’m surprised her punishment has not been discussed within the media, because I feel like it would be a bigger topic if this was to happen within a men’s team.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the fact that Paul Krebs was the UNM Vice President for Athletics. Where did you see that quote?

    ReplyDelete