Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Jordan Empire

Michael Jordan is probably one of the most well known human beings on this planet. We discussed in class all of the memories we had of Jordan that we had when we were younger. All of the sponsorships like his Nike shoes and Gatorade. Also the publicity, memorabilia, and staring in movies, it’s hard to forget the face and the name. He is like a demigod, people to this day idolize him. My most fond childhood memory of him was the Space Jam movie he was in. I never watched basketball, but I loved that movie and I knew of him, and I think that because I had a lot of friends who loved him, it made the movie for favorable for me. It’s funny ever since we discussed his fame and his impact on sport, its like I see Jordan everywhere. It’s probably because I am more aware of him from the class discussion. I now notice his Hayne’s commercials which probably play just as much in the past as I notice them now. I also see clips of him when he attends basketball games. Last week When the Cav’s played the Miami Heat Jordan was in attendance and it seemed about every five minutes the camera would flash back to show viewers his reaction. Lastly, I ran across a fairly new documentary about Michael Jordan. I can not recall the specific station but it was not aired on a sport channel. In the documentary they discussed a lot of the topics that we had in class; his fame, worth, impact on economics and sport, endorsements, experiments with golf and baseball, and the scandal associated with his father’s death. I found my attention to his publicity today amusing. Although he has been out of sport for some time, he still has a huge impact within our culture and media today. It’s strange that I have never notice the media attention that he still gets until recently but I really enjoy it because I cant help but relate it to class discussions.

2 comments:

  1. I also did a blog on this topic and I started to notice how much Jordan was everywhere too. It is amazing how much power can come with a name. Especially for a player that has been retired for some years now. You would think by looking at all his endorsements that he is a relevant player at the top of his game right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about Jordan's image within culture--he has become ubiquitous!

    ReplyDelete