Sunday, November 8, 2009

Women with MUSCLE

In class we got into a discussion on how much muscle is too much muscle that is acceptable for a woman. I found this interesting, because I myself have my preferences about how much muscle I like on a man or how much muscle I think is attractive on a woman, however, I never considered an amount of muscle mass being inappropriate or not right. Working within the fitness culture I have found that those who work to compete in fitness and body building competitions are apart of this close knit subculture. Even, a lot of muscle on a man in class was considered to be unattractive, however, I do not think men will ever be ostracized by society such as some women may be who are apart of the body building subculture. To those who compete in body building view large muscles as beautiful and a healthy way of living, and I do not think that they should be judged on their appearance for that. It is not as if they are making their appearance offensive to others or that their looks would be deemed inappropriate in certain social settings such as a conservative atmosphere. I just feel that its sexist that women who have taken apart of the body building lifestyle are deemed inappropriate as apposed to men who, were not thought of as inappropriate, just not attractive to those who do not like the body building type. It just may take time before women may reach the same type of criticisms as men, however, you can not deny that there are different standards and expectations for men and women and that maybe women are criticized more for joining the body building world because it has never been accepted that women posses a masculine trait. However, I do believe that times are changing and people are being more open because we already see more women playing football, but who knows if women will ever truly be equal to men in terms of masculinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment